Belize (formerly British Honduras) is a scenically beautiful, independent country located on the Caribbean seaboard of Central America. Belize has an area of approximately 23,026 sq km, and is bounded by Mexico to the north and Guatemala to the west and south.
The administrative capital of Belize is Belmopan, but the major commercial centre is Belize City, which is located on the eastern coast close to the major international airport.
Infrastructure & Economy
Belize's unspoiled environment with cays and barrier reef make it a popular destination for eco-tourists, whilst its clear unpolluted waters are excellent for swimming, diving, fishing and other aqua sports. The country also offers a unique mix of unspoiled woodlands, caves, rivers, mountains, waterfalls and jungle, in addition to a wealth of Mayan archaeological sites. There are also forest reserves, wildlife sanctuaries, marine resort areas and the world's only jaguar reserve.
Major exports are sugar, bananas, citrus products, fishery products, garments and timber and wood products. The offshore finance industry is generating an increasing proportion of national income.
- The official and spoken language is English.
• Exchange Control
- Offshore activities are exempted from exchange control.
• Type of Law
- Common Law based on English Company Law.
• Principal Corporate Legislation
- International Business Companies Act, 2000.
- Limited Life Companies Act, 1999
• Type of Company for International Trade and Investment
- Belize International Business Company (IBC) or the Belize Limited Life Company (LLC).
• Restrictions on Trading
- Cannot trade within Belize or own real estate in Belize. Cannot undertake the business of banking, insurance, assurance or reinsurance.
• Powers of Company
- A company incorporated in Belize has the same powers as a natural person.
• Language of Legislation and Corporate Documents
• Shelf Companies Available
• Language of Name
- A Belize IBC can be incorporated using any language. Chinese language incorporations with Chinese documentation are very popular.
• Registered Office Required
- Yes, must be maintained in Belize at the address of a licensed management company.
• Name Restrictions
- Any name that has already been incorporated in Belize, or is so similar as to cause confusion. Any name which in the opinion of the Registrar is considered undesirable, obscene or offensive. Names such as royal or imperial and any name that suggests the patronage of Belize Government.
• Names Requiring Consent or License
- Bank, building society, savings, loans, insurance, assurance, reinsurance, trust, trustees, Chamber of Commerce, university, municipal or their foreign language equivalents or any name in English or a foreign language that may suggest association with the banking or insurance industries.
• Suffixes to Denote Limited Liability
- Limited, Corporation, Incorporation, Société Anonyme, Sociedad Anónima, Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung or the relevant abbreviations.
• Disclosure of Beneficial Ownership to Authorities?